“EUROPEAN UNION, YOUTH AND PEACE”
The photography competition “EUROPEAN UNION, YOUTH AND PEACE” aims at drawing attention of the Portuguese, Russian, Portuguese-speaking countries and countries of the so-called Eastern Partnership to the role of the European Union (EU) as an international actor in the field of peace and security. This exercise provides a space for reflection with the view to stimulating critical thought among young people who wish to contribute to positive change in Europe as an area of security and peace and to what it means to be European in this context. The photographs that best reflect this commitment will be displayed in a public exhibition to be held at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra (FEUC) and will be published in a catalog. The best photographs will also be available on the website of the Center of Excellence (https://coe.uc.pt/).
The general theme of the competition is “European Union, youth and peace”.
Students from Portuguese and Russian Universities, Portuguese-speaking countries and countries that make up the Eastern Partnership (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine) are eligible for the competition.
- CONDITIONS AND TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
4.1. The images submitted to the photography competition must be submitted individually and accompanied by:
- author’s full name;
- the university he/she attends;
- telephone and email contact;
- title of the image;
- brief description of the image;
- brief biography of the author.
4.2. Participants may submit up two (2) photos in JPEG or TIFF formats, with a minimum resolution of 1024×768 and a size limit of 10MB per image. The photos submitted to competition must be identified with the author’s name, photo title and a brief description.
4.3. Only photographs that have not undergone any montage, collage or manipulation effect will be considered for the purpose of the competition.
4.4. Black and white or color photographs are accepted.
4.5. Participants are responsible for making sure they compete with original photographs, not yet published or awarded.
5.1 All material should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Photo Contest EU, youth and peace”
5.2 The deadline for sending the photographs is March 3, 2022.
5.3. The Center of Excellence will not return the photographs to the authors.
- SELECTION COMMITTEE AND EVALUATION OF THE PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKS
6.1 The selection committee will be composed of three members:
Maria Raquel Freire – Coordinator of the Jean Monnet Center of Excellence, Professor of International Relations at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra (FEUC) and researcher at the Center for Social Studies (CES)
Renata Cabral – Journalist. Member of the Jean Monnet Center of Excellence team
Hermes Augusto Costa – Vice-Dean at FEUC, responsible for Communication, Associate Professor with ‘Agregação’, Sociology, FEUC, and researcher at CES
6.2 The selection committee will select up to a maximum of 24 photographs to be included in the photographic exhibition.
6.3 The selection committee will base its decision on the suitability of the subject, the originality of the author’s interpretation and the technical and aesthetic quality of the photograph.
6.4 The choices of the selection committee will be announced on March 28, 2022, on the website of the Center of Excellence. The decision of the selection committee is sovereign and not subject to appeal.
- The winners of the competition will have their work exhibited at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra, in an exhibition open to the public. The photographs will also appear on the Center of Excellence website and will be published in a catalogue. The winners will be entitled to two copies of the catalog, which will be sent by postal mail.
- RIGHT OF USE BY THIRD PARTIES
- The photographs submitted will become part of the Jean Monnet Center of Excellence image bank and may be reproduced without commercial purposes and following ethical principles in publications, catalogues, exhibitions, including online, and others.
- The Center of Excellence, for its part, is committed to giving credit to the author of the photographs in any and all uses that may be made.
- The Center of Excellence, as well as the authors, waive any financial or other compensation arising from the use of the images.
- Participants in the competition are responsible for complying with the provisions governing intellectual property and image rights on the submitted photographs.
- FINAL DISPOSITIONS
By participating in the contest, participants fully accept the terms of this regulation and the conditions set out herein.